Shortcuts

Friday, February 18, 2011

Veg Burgers!




In my quest to transition to a more veg-oriented diet, I decided to try making my own veg burgers. I suppose I could take the easy way out and just by Boca burgers, but they're prolly gross. Not to mention the fact that they're packaged with how many layers? A cardboard box plus plastic wrapper, most likely.

Ingredients:
1/2 a green pepper
1/4 (or more if you like onion, which I really don't) small onion
1 can black beans
1 can chick peas



Finely chop the green pepper.



And the same for the onion.



Rinse the beans and put them in a bowl to dry. Apparently this makes them stick better?



While the beans are drying, saute the pepper and onion with a little butter.



Throw the pepper and onions into the beans, and mash with a fork! This was hard work, and it sooo does not look delicious.

After everything is mashed into oblivion (or mostly into oblivion, like mine), form into patties. Then you can either grill (for an undetermined amount of time?) or bake at 350 for 10 minutes on each side.



I ate mine with a side of seasoned fries (I'm so addicted to those things) and sauteed zucchini (butter + zucchini + Lowry's seasoning salt). I also toasted the bun. I should have had some lettuce and whatnot on there too, but someone(me) forgot to buy it when grocery shopping. Oops!

All in all, I thought they were a little bland. Lettuce and tomato on top might make all the difference, though. Next time I make these, I'm going to try adding in some spices to the mix, or maybe liquid smoke or Worcestershire sauce or something along those lines. I know it will never taste like a delicious, grease filled hamburger, but I'd like it to taste like something! Aside from the blandness, though, the texture was not at all bad; actually, it was pretty close to a normal hamburger texture, since I didn't completely mash up the beans.

This recipe made 6 burgers, and four of them got frozen. Hopefully they'll cook alright after being frozen. Guess we'll see!!

No comments:

Post a Comment