Shortcuts

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Mashed potato enchiladas and Spanish rice



I first started making these enchiladas about two years ago when I was trying to add more vegetarian dishes to my diet. These quickly became my favourite vegetarian dish, and when combined with Spanish rice (I like my carbs, what can I say?) and refried beans, it becomes a delicious meal.

Mashed potato enchiladas
Ingredients:
a portion of mashed potatoes (1-2 cups)
1 8.5 oz can of corn
1 14.5 oz can of black beans, rinsed
shredded cheese
seasoning of choice (I use plain ol' taco seasoning, but feel free to use your own combination of spices like chili and cumin)
flour or corn tortillas
1 10oz can enchilada sauce

For the mashed potatoes, you can either use the left overs from last night (or two days ago; I don't judge) or make some new. If you like, feel free to add some sour cream to the potatoes.

In a large bowl, mix the potatoes, corn, beans, cheese, and seasoning. Pour enough enchilada sauce into a baking dish (I used an 8x8 for four enchiladas) to just cover the bottom. Spoon potato mixture onto tortillas, roll, and place into baking dish seam side down. Pour the rest of the enchilada sauce over enchiladas; sprinkle more cheese over the top. Bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes.

(Side note: if you have left-over filling, it freezes fairly well. The only issue I've had with it is when it thaws it's a bit runnier than it should be. A few flakes of instant potatoes work to thicken it up though--just don't add too many)

Spanish rice
If you don't want to use a Spanish rice box mix, or if you happened to forget it when you went shopping, here's an easy alternative.

Ingredients:
1/2 onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
2 cups cooked rice (I used boil-in-bag brown rice)
1 14.5 oz can chopped tomatoes with green chilis
Chili and cumin seasonings to taste

Saute the onion and pepper in a medium frying pan until soft. Add rice, tomatoes, and seasonings. Heat until toasty.

No comments:

Post a Comment